Hi everyone and welcome to a very short post. This post is going to cover something that I was asked today. The question I have received was “Do you know the upgrade history of our VMware Cloud Director enviroment?”
I know it’s been a while since my last post, so I’m very happy to be again on the road.
Last week I had some issues in a VMware Cloud Director enviroment that ended up opening a support request with VMware. During the case development, the support team requested me to create a log bundle, but I wasn’t even able to generate it, so that’s where this story begins. Please note that the modifications I’ve done might not be supported by VMware.
I’m not going to cover the complete script because it’s not the central topic of the post. In that file I found the some variables that pointed me into the multi-cell-log collection script, so it was time to check that file also.
I opened the file with the following command and founded that there was a timeout variable that I could modify.
So I decided to modify that value and try again. It’s not a value that will wait until it expires, it’s just a maximum timeout. If the cell bundle generation ends earlier, the script will continue.
After modifying that timeout everything was working again so I returned to the vmware-vcd-log-publisher.log to analyze how much time was taking, just out of curiosity. It was taking between 8-9 minutes, a little more than the default.
I ended up doing a cleanup of old logs, and the process was smooth again in less than 7 minutes.